Lecturer – Product Design – Sustainable Design
Ref Code: II8.4.2
The German University in Cairo invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective September 2022 or February 2023
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolls 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in the Product Design Department. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
The position will focus on the design process in the context of sustainability, and challenges conventional ways of defining, designing and producing functional objects. S/he should teach design in a compelling and innovative, human-centered way that explores both the meaning and practice of sustainable design. The applicant should have strong knowledge of the economic, social, political and ecological challenges for the designer. S/he should be able to cover the complete product design process, including semantics/semiotics, techniques of presentation as well as production techniques and material knowledge. The applicant should have a previous professional experience in product design teaching or should have a related professional background
• Applicants for the position of a Lecturer should hold a master degree or German diploma, at least 5 years of practical and 3 years of teaching experience.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledge of the design principles of sustainable design.
• Strong competences to integrate aspects of sustainability and aesthetics into designing product strategies.
• Ability to incorporate technical knowledge and the latest techniques, technology and materials in the product development process.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the design discipline and thus create a foundation for design-oriented actions and mindsets.
• Strong commitment to progressive design education principles regarding a self-organized and responsible design study.
• Understanding of the implications of Design practice within social, cultural, economic, scientific or technological contexts.
• Competence of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Strong competences to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and writing in English, which is the teaching language.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
The German University in Cairo is an Egyptian Private University, established in cooperation with the German State Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart, under the patronage of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education, the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany, and supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Embassy in Cairo, the Arab/German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK), the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, the Universities of Stuttgart, Ulm, Mannheim, and Tübingen. Situated at the ancient city of Cairo, the GUC’s mission is to achieve excellence in teaching and research.
Application Instructions :
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of your work.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 15th of June 2022.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (email@example.com)
Post Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2022