Lecturer – Product Design – Sustainable Design
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.4
The German University in Cairo - GUC (Cairo Campus)
Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.4
The German University in Cairo invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective October 2021 or February 2022
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolling 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in the Product Design Department. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
The position will focus on the design process in the context of sustainability, and challenges conventional ways of defining, designing and producing functional objects. S/he should teach design in a compelling and innovative, human-centred way that explores both the meaning and practice of sustainable design. The applicant should have strong knowledge of the economic, social, political and ecological challenges for the designer. S/he should be able to cover the complete product design process, including semantics/semiotics, techniques of presentation as well as production techniques and material knowledge. The applicant should have a previous professional experience in product design teaching or should have a related professional background
• Applicants for the position of a Lecturer should hold a master degree or German diploma, at least 5 years of practical and 3 years of teaching experience.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledge of the design principles of sustainable design.
• Strong competences to integrate aspects of sustainability and aesthetics into designing product strategies.
• Ability to incorporate technical knowledge and the latest techniques, technology and materials in the product development process.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the design discipline and thus create a foundation for design oriented actions and mindsets.
• Strong commitment to progressive design education principles regarding a self-organized and responsible design study.
• Understanding of the implications of Design practice within social, cultural, economic, scientific or technological contexts.
• Competence of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Strong competences to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and writing in English, which is the teaching language.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of your work.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 31st of July 2021.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Date: Tuesday, April 27, 2021