Workshop Supervisor in Ceramics/Modelling
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.0.1
The German University in Cairo invites applications for the following vacancy to be filled on February 2021.
The Design Workshops are an interdisciplinary department within the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts at the German University in Cairo. They currently consist of six separate workshop units.
The Department’s mission is to teach all students practical skills relevant to the three majors programs in the Faculty of Applied Arts during their Foundation Studies. Throughout the Majors, the workshops are an important resource, where students conduct experiments, realize assignments, create design prototypes, and participate in research. The FASA Design Workshops contribute to the unique profile of the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts as a leader in design education in Egypt.
The Faculty seeks a graduate interested in deepening his/her academic profile as a designer-maker in the field of ceramics/modelling. Applicants interested in conducting research are encouraged to apply.
Qualifications, Experience, Skills:
- Bachelors or Master degree of Applied Arts in Ceramics or in a design related discipline
- One to five years teaching experience
- Ability to instruct a wide variety of ceramic techniques
- Knowledge of successful kiln operation
- Proven experience and knowledge of more than one of the following craft areas:
a) clay modelling techniques, pinch, slab, coil and wheel
b) glazing and firing techniques
- Fluency in English
- Patience and good communication skills
- Intercultural competence
- Ability to work under pressure
- The desire to develop a personal research agenda within the workshop
The Supervisor of the Ceramics/Modelling Workshop cooperates closely with the Gypsum/Molding Workshop in all aspects of workshop management, thereby expanding the capacity, efficiency and creative profile of the workshop. As part of a team, the Workshop Supervisor will work together with Supervisors, Teaching Assistants and Head of Department to design courses and assignments, relevant to the needs of the faculty in particular those of the Product Design Department. He/She will report to the Head of the Department.
- Instructs both wheel throwing and hand-building ceramic classes and/or workshops; plans curriculum according to theme of Semester
- Oversees the safe operation of a wide variety of specialized ceramic equipment, including but not limited to wheels, electric kilns, slab rollers, hand tools and power tools
- Trains students on safety and maintenance of equipment
- Orders, receives, stores and organizes all supplies including clay
- Loads, sets and unloads kilns insuring that student work is fired in a timely manner. Educates students on proper glazing procedures including application and safety. Develops/maintains glaze recipes for color, texture and adherence
- Tests glazes using a variety of firing temperatures and techniques
Other Skills and Abilities:
This position requires physical effort. Frequent lifting of up to twenty-five pounds and occasional lifting of up to fifty pounds. Some bending, stooping and/or lifting will be required.
In a dynamic, international team collaboration, flexibility and dependability are of paramount importance.
Post Date: Monday, December 28, 2020