Technical Assistant in Model-Making Lab
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
The Design Workshops are an interdisciplinary department within the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts at the German University in Cairo. The department’s mission is to teach all students practical skills relevant to the majors Graphic, Media and Product Design.
The Faculty is searching for a workshop technician to be responsible for ensuring a safe and reliable experience and journey through the Model-making and Rapid Prototyping Lab. The role will involve working closely with the whole team, especially the Workshop Supervisor, to guide and assist the students while prototyping their projects/assignments.
The Technical Assistant will collaborate with the Workshop Supervisor in the fields of Model-making and Digital Fabrication in all aspects of workshop management, thereby expanding the capacity, efficiency and creative profile of the workshops. You will work together with the Workshop Supervisor and the Teaching Assistant to guide the students throughout the making process, deliver some modules and assignments relevant to the needs of the students and the faculty and maintain and cultivate the workshops as dynamic and innovative facilities for design production.
- Inducting students in the safe use of space and equipment
- Supporting and assisting students with the use of machines
- Maintaining and repairing machines, in addition to installing new equipment
- Ensuring a clean and safe environment
- Supporting the Workshop Supervisor and the TA to improve the Model-making Lab offering
- Running full bed CNC and Laser Cutting jobs for students
- Maintaining appropriate levels of stock and materials
- Assisting in organizational and administrative duties within the department
Qualifications, Experience, Skills:
- Ability to work with multiple projects with multiple people in friendly and calm manner
- Good practical knowledge of operating and maintaining carpentry machines, including but not limited to, milling machine, band saw, sanding machine, lathe, etc.
- Experience of operating a Laser Cutting and a CNC machine
- Ability to operate 3D printers
Additional Desired Skills:
- Experience in design for prototype/manufacture
- Ability to communicate in English, knowledge of German or Arabic a plus
- Patience and good communication skills
- Enjoy working within a team
- Intercultural competence
- Ability to work under pressure and collaborate
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For best consideration, submit applications before 31st of August 2021.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (email@example.com)
Post Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2021