Supervisor – Workshop Letterpress Typography
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.3.3
Faculty of Applied Arts and Sciences
The German University in Cairo invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective September 2022 or February 2023
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolls 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The Design Workshops are an interdisciplinary department and currently consist of seven separate workshop units. The department’s mission is to teach all students practical skills relevant to the majors Graphic, Media and Product Design. Throughout the majors, the workshops are an important resource, where students conduct experiments, realize assignments, create design prototypes, and participate in research. The Design Workshops contribute to the unique profile of the Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts as a leader in design education in Egypt.
The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in
the Workshop Design Department.
• A creative professional and design graduate with experience in academic teaching or a specialist craft.
• Motivated to gain experience within an intercultural academic environment and be willing to develop an own profile at the intersection of digital graphic design, craft and technology.
• Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
• Collaborate with the workshops Illustration Techniques and Bookbinding in the fields of Graphic and Product Design in all aspects of workshop management, thereby expanding the capacity, efficiency and creative profile of the workshop letterpress typography.
• Conduct regular introductory and advanced courses for students according to the schedule and supervise individual student projects.
• Monitor safety and health regulations, plan workshop investments and supervise material purchase.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledgeable about current and future approaches within the field of letterpress and typography, digital graphic design, craft and technology.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the respective crafts discipline and thus create a foundation for design-oriented actions and mindsets.
• Ability to work well with colleagues from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional experience and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Ability to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• An interest in and conducting research in the designated area.
• Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills in English, which is the teaching language.
• Close cooperation with the faculty, especially with the Graphic Design Department
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and online access to a portfolio of their work.
Applications will be reviewed until position is filled. For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Date: Tuesday, May 10, 2022