Professor/Lecturer – Product Design – Industrial Design
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts
Ref Code: II8.4.1
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolling 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in the Product Design Department. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
The position will focus on teaching design principles of industrial products by a human-centered design process for creating product solutions. He/She should deliver challenging course material to develop the core skills of product design graduates such as creative problem solving, conceptual ideation, design visualization and aesthetic execution. The applicant should encourage independent design thinking for ‘real-world’ projects reflecting the latest technological developments and findings from human sciences in the design of physical and digital products. Industrial experience is considered an advantage.
• Applicants for the position of a Professor should hold preferably a PHD degree with relevant academic references in related areas.
• Applicants for the position of a Lecturer should hold a master degree or German diploma, at least 5 years of practical and 3 years of teaching experience.
• Applicants for a position of an Instructor should have a minimum 3 years of practical experience, teaching experience would be an asset.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledgeable of the design principles of industrial products including current and future approaches within the field of industrial design.
• Strong competences to integrate aspects of usability and aesthetics into industrial products.
• Broad and in-depth knowledge of industrial design and manufacturing processes including digital sketching and conceptualization.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the design discipline and thus create a foundation for design oriented actions and mindsets.
• Strong commitment to progressive design education principles regarding a self organized and responsible design study.
• Understanding of the implications of Design practice within social, cultural, economic, scientific or technological contexts.
• Competence of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Strong competences to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and writing in English, which is the teaching language.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of their work.
Submissions will be reviewed starting the 24th of December, 2020 but applications are welcome until the position is filled
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (email@example.com)
Post Date: Sunday, December 20, 2020