Professor / Lecturer– Design Theory
Vacancy for: Faculty of Applied Science and Arts
Ref Code: II8.1
The German University in Cairo invites applications for vacancies to be filled effective February 2021.
The Faculty of Applied Science and Arts enrolling 1,250 students across three design majors: Graphic, Product and Media Design. The GUC (Cairo Campus) invites highly able and motivated applicants for the following vacancy in the Graphic Design Department. Successful candidates will be expected to contribute to undergraduate and graduate teaching.
The position will focus on teaching of Theory courses offered to all students in Foundation and in the three majors of Product Design, Graphic Design and Media Design. The applicant should have a track record of research, teaching or publishing in at least two of the following areas: Strategic Design and Design Research, Design Thinking, Sustainable Design, Social Sciences, Culture Theory, Branding, Communication Theory and Media Theory.
• Applicants for the position of a Professor should hold a PHD degree with relevant academic references in related areas.
• Applicants for the position of a Lecturer should hold a master degree or German diploma, at least 5 years of practical and 3 years of teaching experience.
• Applicants for a position of an Instructor should have a minimum 3 years of practical experience, teaching experience would be an asset.
Experience / Skills:
• Knowledgeable of current and future approaches within the field of design.
• Curiosity to widen the perception within the design discipline and thus create a foundation for design oriented actions and mindsets.
• Strong commitment to progressive design education principles regarding a self-organized and responsible design study.
• Understanding of the implications of Design practice within social, cultural, economic, scientific or technological contexts.
• Competence of working well with people from diverse cultural backgrounds, professional training and aesthetic sensibilities.
• Strong competences to structure and define project goals in order to foster and motivate positive experiences.
• Excellent interpersonal communication skills and writing in English, which is the teaching language.
• Good management skills, including the ability to meet deadlines, communicate and motivate effectively.
• An interest in working collaboratively within the GUC and with external partners towards the development of shared projects.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their curriculum vitae including: employment history, a statement outlining research and teaching interests, list of publications and projects undertaken and names of at least three referees, motivational letter and an online access to a portfolio of their work.
Submissions will be reviewed starting the 01st of November, 2020 but applications are welcome until the position is filled
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Department (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Post Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2020